Modern Denims to Classy Salwaars


The bother less days of strolling in a cute, printed t-shirt and denims are long gone now. With the changing atmosphere my attire has also changed accordingly. If I dress up that way now, all I get is stares and looks that make me feel queasy inside. In bus stops, restaurants and other places you would become the eighth wonder of the world- crafted with great precision which invites curious glances and even dirty smiles from the perverts.
It is an all-in-all salwaar situation here. Whatever you are inside, if you cover yourself up with a classy salwaar, braid your hair, apply a little bit of kohl and there you go – you blend into your surrounding just like another green frog in a lush grassy lawn. And please don’t even think of not becoming the frog- it is some kind of an invisible rule written in even the slightest breeze of India- “wear salwaar suit or sari”. Anything else is a big no, even if it covers your body more than what saris do.
The only place where modern outfits are accepted is the big malls, where people don’t care about anyone. There is no one to steal glances from you; everyone is busy looking for something or sometimes nothing at all. Everyone there is completely lost in themselves that they hardly care what the others are dressed in. It is one place where you can comfortably roam in denims, sleeveless tops, and all other modern outfits without having to search for the dirty eagle eyes staring at you. My once t-shirt and jeans dominated wardrobe has now transformed itself into a fully classy one. The shirts are all shoved to one side and all I can get my hands onto are printed salwaar suit, or long classy Indian outfits.
Stud earrings are replaced with longer jhumkas, bracelets with jingling bangles and a lot of bindi too, to complete my Indian look.
It is quite amusing to trace the origin of this sudden change that I have had- from a modern babe into a complete typical Indian girl. When in Rome be like the Romans, and even if I come out of this Indian-Rome I will still be a Roman. I have adapted now. As quoted in Lena Coakley’s ‘The Mirror’ –human minds are incredibly adapted. When I remember this saying I recollect how I hated to drag the long shawl of salwaar and preferred the shirts more, how I hated wearing long earrings and bindis to. Now I like all of them and would love a nose pin too to top it all up.
But still the peering glances the people throw at you outdoors disturb me when I have stepped out of home –accidentally- in a modern dress. Those stares the people welcome us with, sends a chill down my spine and all I want is them to mind their own business at those times.
The majority is judgmental and with one glance at you, draws a conclusion and also prepares a blue print of your character in their reckless brains- where you mostly get the spoilt girl image even if you are not. The time is changing swiftly as hurricanes but Indians are still stuck up in the Stone Age. If you drape a sari around you, and wear a ‘mangalsutra’ you are judged as a perfect lady, though you might have a good number of affairs or a not-so-good-character. Whereas you wear a denim, a t-shirt and the same ‘mangalsutra’ and walk out in public, people whisper ill among themselves about what you might be though you are a sinless soul.
Even if you are a perfect daughter, sister and mother why is it that our society demands it to be proven? Why is it that someone looks at you for just fraction of a second or two and decides what you are? Why have people become so judgmental that they don’t try to see anything beyond what their eyes present themselves with? Seeing is not always to be believed. Sometimes our eyes need a wider prospective of viewing things, in and around us.
I have adapted now, I haven’t stopped wearing my best modern collections but have surely learnt to ignore comments and the ill glances people give you. You just blend in. But one question that we all need to really ask ourselves is that have the dresses become a mask to hide what you really are? Dresses only show what a person looks from the outside but friends in this busy life,  do borrow some time to know what people really are.
Widen your prospective and never judge a person by what they look, because it might just be yet another big blunder of your life. Things are not always as they seem to be….
Open your eyes not just to see but to perceive too.                 

Comments