Goodbye Vacation


Why do all good things come to an end?  That was the first question that arose in my already freaking out mind, when I learned that the wonderful days of vacation would end in the next few hours. End of vacation meant-end of fun, late night movies and sleep. And ending all these on a single day wasn't so much of a good news to smile and laugh at. 
"OMG I did not complete my assignments." I exclaimed in the middle of watching the re-telecast of a soap which I couldn't catch up with the previous day. Reluctantly I left my sobbing, typical bahu (daughter in law) alone and rushed about to complete the so called assignment. I was due to write a short story, a part of the English vacation work. Writing the story was like trying to find a pot full of water in a desert. the words did not come easily and even if they did it was in broken fragments. "Whoa this is not my piece of cake." I said to myself interrupting my hard working brain which was trying real hard to build up the story from nowhere. Still I did not give up, given the fact  that if I had a choice I would have.  A line in my story read-"...the guy felt something tinkle underneath his legs. When he examined it he found that it was a ring embedded with gems....." I reread the lines once again and realized that finger ring does not tinkle. "Ha ha ha..." I laughed hysterically at those absurd lines that I had just written, I changed some words there and wrote some more to fill up the word limit. When I read the whole stuff once again, with pain I realized that this was just like another Aesop fable which gives teeny tiny morals. I myself hated reading such stories then I could clearly imagine how miserable would the condition of my teacher be, as she has to read and check it under all circumstances. Poor teacher, I thought to myself. Whatsoever I wrote it fairly and designed a beautiful cover for it and wrote 'English assignment' on it. I rushed to my father to flaunt the cover page I had just designed, "Mmm... it looks good but where in the world is 'N' in assignment?" He said.
'What the....' I didn't dare to mouth the third word and gulped it, trying to act innocent. But he was right 'N' was really not there. Cursing that stupid 'N', I redesigned the whole of the cover page, but this time with less enthusiasm. 
As the hours flew by the anxiety building up within me took a full swing. The uncertainty of tomorrow was driving me crazy. I could not bring myself to concentrate fully on whatever I was doing. Tensions were piling  one upon the other. The so called tomorrow also included the biggest tensions of all -confronting my teachers. Having scored way too less compared to the past tests I couldn't gather up the courage to mouth a satisfactory excuse in front of them. My heart was thumping real hard- dhak dhak dhak or in biological terms dubb lubb, dubb lubb, dubb lubb, the only difference was that this time it was a little too faster compared to the other normal worry less days. For one last time I scrolled along my Facebook page, not really wanting to bid it goodbye. The ticking of the clock seemed like giggles and mocking smirks it was giving me. I turned away and got on to readying my school stuffs. The saddest part was setting the alarm at six in the morning and it tore my heart to say bye to those things I used to do in my free time. Now all that came into my mind was schedules, timetables and worries topping them all up. The last day of my vacation ended this way, but I still had a vague hope that everything would turn out well  the next day. Having consoled myself I went to bed waving goodbye to the freaky, funny and funky fortnight that had passed  faster than I imagined.

Comments

  1. അമ്മു കുട്ടീ കലക്കുന്നുണ്ട് കേട്ടോ

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment