Silence

I boarded the bus and took a seat. I read the milestone-193 km. A way too long journey was ahead of me. the bus zoomed into motion and the distance kept on decreasing little by little. The scenery outside kept on moving and noticing things seemed difficult. I played some songs in my MP3 and plugged my ears with the earphones. The songs played one by one and I began tapping my feet along its rhythm. Time passed as the seconds ticked by.
The beats of the music started fading and something else took its place. I increased the volume and continued to enjoy the music, but it lasted only for a while. The songs were going unheard and my ears were no more perceiving sound anymore.The silence took the place of the music beats that my hearing senses were feasting on. I switched off my MP3 as it no longer had any use. Every year at the same time of the year I take this journey of 193 Kms through the beautiful hills of Bhutan and I wasn't even a bit surprised of what was happening to me. The change in altitude was deafening my ears. but for the first time in the past sixteen years I felt like enjoying it. I felt like enjoying the silence. The 'golden silence' as everyone names it. The silence engulfed me and transported me to yet aother world where sound doesnot exist. A place where birds chirp, cars honk, people shout but you cannot hear it. For the first few minutes I felt queasy but then, I got used to it. It felt that the world around me was a television with its audio being turned off. It is peaceful to be in such a situation- to respond to someone with nods,  to concentrate on someones lip movements than on them and to make out sounds by the visual skills and not by the auditory.
My own sound was echoing in my ears and even murmuring seemed tough. No disturbances and just nothing for a long time, just a beep sound. The world around me was rejoicing and having fun but I was silent.
A yawn interrupted my thoughts and ouch..... the voices returned to once again a little by little. The journey had ended, but when I reflected back I realised theat this was the only journey I had enjoyed completely.
 I enjoyed the scenery, the snow on the roadsides, the songs that I played and most importantly the 'silence'.

Comments