A Shattered Dream



I stared at the red blood like stain of doma (betel nut) on the yellowish white tile. The cracked pans reminded me of those broken window glasses through which the chilly air of winter blew and took away the warmth from our bodies. Everything was stinking. The ceiling was covered with spider webs that it was hard for anyone to guess the real color of them. Walls were neatly pasted with white tiles that had already started turning yellow. I couldn’t tolerate the smell and the sight before me. I dashed out of that horrible place. In the hurry, something hit my head. Everything seemed blur and my sight became dim till everything turned black……………

It was a chilly morning. I got up with my lessons fresh in my mind. With prayers to the god, I started the special, which was going to decide my tomorrow. This was the exam for the recruitment of students to pursue their education in foreign countries. Among us, only five toppers were to be selected. My colleagues and I reached the hall at the nick of time. The invigilator had just pushed the door open. I took my seat with a slight nervousness. The papers were distributed and I glanced at each one of them. I knew most of them and I started scribbling whatever I knew. I had completed pretty much of questions but I got struck up on one question.

I started looking here and there. I was terrified with what I saw. One of my friends was busy copying the answers he had written on his gho (traditional Bhutanese wear). The invigilator was sitting on a chair and was looking out as if he was a caged bird longing for freedom. I warned my friend not to do it but he did not take notice of my words.  He even dared to offer me help on the question I had difficulty with but I openly denied his offer. I stuck on to my policy of honesty. When the final bell rang, we all moved out of the hall praying to qualify. Days passed and the results were out. The boy who copied was the topper and I was not selected with just a decimal difference of percentage with the fifth position holder.

I was not able to tolerate all these that I started becoming mentally ill. I came to a situation of complete madness and was admitted in a mental hospital for three years. When I returned I searched everywhere for a job but everyone denied. Who would give job to a person who was mentally unstable? I was shattered and crushed by my own fate. My parents and teachers taught me to be honest and said it was the best policy. I could not understand anything.

Where did it all go wrong? Was honesty really the best policy? I doubted. My fate did not have the slightest bit of mercy on me. Did my teachers and parents lie to me? Were they all wrong? Did I miss the chance to pursue my education because I did not take advantage of the golden chance? Or the policy to which I stuck on betrayed me? I did not have answers to any of these questions. I had to work as a public toilet cleaner just because of my policies.

…………..when I opened my eyes I was in a hospital ward. Someone had reached me there, from the horrible toilet. I thanked the stranger in my mind and left the place. I went home and switched on the light. With my eyes filled with tears, I sat on my bed. I did not want to live some more days with the horrible sense of loss. I saw a dark life ahead. I decided not to cry anymore and to stop my tears forever. A piece of rope can end everything, I thought. Soon I did it. I quit this life of loses with my neck at the end of a firm rope. At least it did not betray me.

Comments